Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Java SE for Embedded Use

I supposed Sun has now realized that there is a place for Java SE (Java Platform, Standard Edition), in addition to Java ME (Java Platform, Mobile Edition), in the embedded market. They have just released an early access to Java SE for PowerPC running Linux. See http://java.sun.com/j2se/embedded/. But to download you need to answer a questionnaire first. I guess it is good to complete the questionnaire to give Sun what embedded platforms we would like to see Java SE runs on. (But the questionnaire does not list my country for me to pick!)

We are currently using ARM7 at work. Since the full-fledge Linux does not run on ARM7 due to a missing MMU, I guess we won't be seeing Java SE for ARM7 any time soon. Unless someone does the porting to uClinux.

No comments: